01 02 03 Good Food Trips: 6 Restaurants from Manila I Wish Would Open in Cebu 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

6 Restaurants from Manila I Wish Would Open in Cebu

34
I've been in Cebu for about 3 years now and it's been quite an adventure. There are times I love staying here yet there are times when I wish I could just go back to my life in Bacolod or Makati (re: FLASH FLOODS). It is during these moments when I feel most homesick and I wish for nothing more than to be in my comfort zone. But then again, there are days when the simplest of things make me homesick so I guess this is something that everyone who has moved away to another city can relate to?

During times when I'm homesick, it's really common that I start craving for food from particular restaurants. Then there are also those days when I wish for nothing more than to have my favorite establishments be available in Cebu as well. Let me share with you a few restaurants from Manila that I wish were in Cebu:

Mary Grace Cafe



Photo from Mary Grace Cafe FB

Whenever I couldn't decide where to eat, Mary Grace Cafe was always an option. I loved their homey ambiance and the fact that their dishes were so delicious. Among my favorites are their Grilled Cheese Roll, Ensaymada, Sansrival Cake, Smoked Salmon & Cream Pasta, and of course, their Homemade Iced Teas.

Perhaps the closest thing to it here in Cebu would be Fudge or Leona's but still, it's not the same. As for the ensaymada, I would have to say Marco Polo Cebu's Cafe Marco is hands down, the go-to place here in Cebu.

Mom & Tina's

Photo from Mom & Tina's FB

Just like Mary Grace Cafe, Mom & Tina's is a destination for delicious comfort food. Among my favorites there include the Shepherd's Pie and the Chocolate Cupcake. I know they have several other delicious dishes but these are the two that I usually order whenever I go there.

In Cebu, the closest thing to Mom & Tina's would perhaps be 10 Dove Street and Cafe George.

Kanin Club

Photo from Kitchen Cow


Or at least their Crispy Dinuguan. I'm not 100% sure if Kanin Club still operates but judging from a Facebook page, there are still some people who are checking into the restaurant. I never ate dinuguan since I found it gross. But when I tasted Kanin Club's Crispy Dinuguan a few years ago, I was hooked. I kept ordering it the next 3-4 times my friends and I ate there. 

I came across a local restaurant in Cebu where Crispy Dinuguan was offered on their menu but sadly when I ordered it, it was unavailable. Ever since then, I haven't been able to order it again. Perhaps for local Filipino food, I would go to Alejandro's here in Cebu. 

Cafe Breton

Photo from Foodspotting

A few years ago, there was a creperie that opened here in Cebu. I was happy with their crepes but there's nothing that can compare to the wide selection offered by Cafe Breton. My favorite has always been their Galette Don Quixote. Since that creperie in Cebu closed, I'm no longer sure where I can indulge in crepes. :(

Chihuahua Mexican Grill

Photo from Global Food Trip

I enjoy a good burrito-- especially if I can eat in a bowl and not make a mess. And that's exactly why I love Chihuahua Mexican Grill. They have burrito selections that you can enjoy in a stainless steel mixing bowl so you won't get your hands dirty. It's especially good if you want to share with your friends too! Another favorite is their Michelada, a unique margarita drink spiked with some chili. 

My go-to place for burritos here in Cebu is El Taquito in SSY Building, Lahug. Their burrito is delicious even though it's not served in a bowl. 

Chili's

Photo from Chili's Philippines FB

The main purpose of this blogpost was to (hopefully) convince the marketing people behind Chili's Philippines to finally open a branch here in Cebu. My friends love to go to Chili's and drink their Frozen Fruit Margaritas because they're just extremely the best. Aside from that, their Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie and Molten Lava Cake are to die for! 

Pueblo Mexicano in BTC offers fresh fruit margaritas too. But at a price of around P500+ for a pitcher, I'd rather make one at home. 

Writing about these makes me want to catch a plane to Manila right now and just food trip. Do you know of any place where I can enjoy a good galette or crispy dinuguan? How about a frozen fruit margarita here in Cebu? Let me know your suggestions in a comment below! I'd love to check them out.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38