01 02 03 Good Food Trips: 5 Reasons Why You Should Go to Ruben's Talabahan 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

5 Reasons Why You Should Go to Ruben's Talabahan

34
On one lazy Sunday, my friends and I decided to go to our favorite out-of-town destination, Co-Jordan in Consolacion, Cebu. It's around 1 hour and 30 minutes away from Mandaue when you ride a jeep. But if you have a car, I think you can get there faster. We wanted to go on this road trip to celebrate my regularization in our company.


While we typically eat at Co-Jordan, mutual friends suggested we try out Ruben's Talabahan, another restaurant situated just before Co-Jordan. Our friends said that Ruben's was cheaper and more delicious than Co-Jordan so we decided to check it out.

If you're craving for a good trip out of town in Cebu, here are 5 reasons why you should check out Ruben's Talabahan:

Reason # 5: It's easy to understand their menu.

Once you have chosen a table, a waitress will come over and provide you a menu of the fresh fish they have for sale. If you're not the type who usually orders for your group, you might have difficulty understanding the different items on the menu. Ruben's makes it easier for you to just pick out the food you want to order.
Calamares (P150)

Reason # 4: They're really, really affordable.

At Ruben's, you're free to choose the weight of the food you would like to order. Since there was only four of us, I ordered 1/4 kilo of each food item and it only cost us P150 per dish. As for the crab, I ordered 1/2 kilo and it cost P300, which is still very cheap.

Here's what we ordered:
1/4 kilo Shrimp in Butter Sauce: P150
1/4 kilo Calamares: P150
1/4 kilo Grilled Tanguige: P150
1/4 kilo Tinowa Lapu-Lapu: P150
1/2 kilo Steamed Crab: P300

Steamed Crab (P300)

Reason # 3: You can relax in one of their 'payag-payags' or nipa huts. 

For a fee, you can opt to stay in one of these nipa huts that have been set above the water. There were around 6-7 small nipa huts that cost P150 to rent and you could sit about 10 people or more inside of it. If you have a larger group, you can stay at the larger nipa hut, which comes with its own karaoke machine. Or if you don't want to pay for one, you can stay in one of the tables in front of the establishment.

Shrimp in Butter (P150)

Reason # 2: Fresh fruits! Need I say more?

When you're settled, a fruit vendor will come over and sell you some of the fruits she offers. I was able to haggle a kilo of yellow mangoes to just P100 instead of P150. After that, I called our waitress so she could store it inside their refrigerator. When it was time for dessert, they sliced it for us.

Fresh Mangoes

Reason # 1: It's fun!

The food is great, the price is affordable. Most of the time, the best thing about eating in places like this is that it's a complete experience on its own. I love the fact that my friends and I travel together and even ride a jeep to get to the restaurant. On this recent trip, I accidentally ripped my new Forever 21 trousers while I climbed up a tricycle but I didn't let it burst my bubble. Overall, I was just really happy to have spent the weekend with close friends who I consider my family here in Cebu. :)

My friends and I

To get to Ruben's Talabahan:

From Jollibee Highway (Mandaue), ride a jeep that goes to Consolacion. Just before you reach SM Consolacion, get off the bridge. Look for the line of tricycles waiting for passengers just before the bridge and tell the driver to take you to Ruben's. The same goes for Co-Jordan.

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38