01 02 03 Good Food Trips: Let Them Eat Cake-- Ironbound Coffee's Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Let Them Eat Cake-- Ironbound Coffee's Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake!

34

On my way to work, I always pass by F. Cabahug St. in Mabolo. I regularly notice the different establishments that open in the area for a potential date night option. A few weeks ago, I noticed a sign that said "Welcome to Cebu Ironbound Coffee." This piqued my interest as I was on the hunt for a new place where I could enjoy my coffee in peace.

After passing by the cafe several times, G and I finally made our way there after eating dinner in a nearby Korean restaurant. We decided to grab dessert before heading home.

When we got to the cafe, I finally understood why they always left their doors open-- their air conditioning still wasn't installed. Instead, they offered electric fans in their establishment. This was understandable, especially since they were still on soft opening.


When I finished paying for my order, the person behind the counter (could be the owner) informed me that they were opening this week and that they would soon have an al fresco area where their customers could drink alcoholic beverages. Along with some of the dishes they offered, this seemed to be an interesting concept for a cafe.

Interior


I loved the industrial interior that Ironbound Coffee exuded. Their black and red chairs were surprisingly very comfortable to sit on and provided a beautiful mix of color along with the wallpaper. There were also some high stools were customers could sit on against the wall. It really was an attractive design they chose to install in their establishment as it released a masculine appeal to it.

Food

On our visit, we were really too full from the dinner we previously ate. We decided to grab a slice of their cake, something I saw on their Facebook page. To our surprise, the barista told us that they were offering it at Buy 1 Take 1. So for P130, we had two slices of cake. Not bad.

Check out this board for some of their specials!

Must try next time: Red Velvet Cupcakes

When our Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake with Buttercream Frosting arrived, we were surprised to see that it was a huge slice. Having been used to sharing just one slice of cake, G and I were unable to finish what was on our plates. As for the taste, I really enjoyed how decadent and soft the chocolate buttercream frosting went with the cake underneath. It had a hint of sherry in it and I mentioned it to the owner, who informed me it was from the chocolate they used. I think this will go really great with their coffee!

Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake with Buttercream Frosting (P130)

Overall, I enjoyed the cake at Ironbound Coffee. It was a welcomed change to the restaurants in Cebu since finding quality cake (as good as Bacolod's Calea, Felicia's or Tiffany's) was a difficult struggle. Next time, we'll be trying out the coffee. We weren't up for the challenge on our visit since it was already late and we had to be at work at 6 am. But definitely, we'll be going back for the coffee and the food!


Ironbound Coffee is situated at F. Cabahug St., Mabolo, Cebu City. They are on the building right next to Pacific Square Condominium. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner since they open from 7:00 am to 12:00 am. For inquiries, you may get in touch with them at (032) 405-2987.

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38