01 02 03 Good Food Trips: Cafe Georg: The Best Place for Comfort Food in Cebu 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Cafe Georg: The Best Place for Comfort Food in Cebu

34
During one of my early days in Cebu, there was a time when I was not so knowledgeable of the different restaurants in the city. I would rely on the judgment of my friends' on where we should be eating instead of voicing out my own suggestions. Now, I am able to happily chip into the discussion and even give new options for places to eat.

Among the first restaurants that I've come to love and appreciate until today is none other than Cafe Georg in Banilad or what is known as Oh Georg! in Ayala Center Cebu. I'm pretty sure almost everyone else (myself included) prefers the Banilad branch for its homey atmosphere and wide range of available menu items. But for those without a car, the fastest and most accessible option is Oh Georg! in Ayala.

photo from Drum and Run

Introducing me to Cafe Georg, it was my friends Jenna & Angelo, who first took me there. Later on, I also recommended the restaurant to other friends who wanted to try something new and delicious. Describing it as comfort food, Cafe Georg truly fit the bill. In its very essence, the food served truly epitomized a character of being brought back to home while your mom or grandmother cooked a feast for you after a long day at school. With no-fuss ingredients, Cafe Georg was exactly that-- a homey ambiance and ridiculously delicious food.

Food

To be fair, I have only been at the restaurant for a few times. But despite this, I have already been able to gather some favorite dishes. Upon the suggestion of my first hosts in Cebu, a meal at Cafe Georg will never be off to a good start without their delicious and best selling Spinach & Cheese Dip. Served with a side of crostinis, you'll marvel at the oozing melted spinach-cheese medley; appreciating every single bite of its playful gooeyness.

Spinach & Cheese Dip (P175)

Spinach & Cheese Dip (P175)

The first time I ate in Cafe Georg, I was either on a diet or wasn't too hungry to indulge in a feast (regretting it now). Thus, I decided to go with one of their cold roll-ups, the Smoked Ham, Chipotle, and Cheddar Roll-Up. On their menu, it says that it is a new, spicy dish composed of smoked ham, a couple slices of cheddar, tomato, chopped lettuce, and chipotle sauce rolled in a tomato tortilla wrap. The serving was good for two people but if you were sharing dishes, you can easily share it among three friends. 

Smoked Ham, Chipotle, and Cheddar Roll-Up (P195)

Smoked Ham, Chipotle, and Cheddar Roll-Up (P195)

On another visit, my friends (Maria and Joy) and I decided to split three items off the menu. We started with a salad, a roll-up, and the Carbonara. I wasn't able to take a picture of the three items at that time but I made sure to have the salad on my next visit. As a matter of fact, it is one of my current favorite salad dishes that I surely will love when I go back to Bacolod or Manila (unsure yet). Apart from the Spinach and Cheese Dip, make sure that you order the Apple, Candied Walnut, and Blue Cheese Salad. It's an absolute must and you should not even think twice! Even blogger Jin Loves to Eat agrees with me on this!

Especially if you're a fan of blue cheese, you'll love how the flavors mix and complement each other. Eaten alone, you would see the difference on each ingredient; which is why you need to mix the salad thoroughly. Not your typical salad dish, an order comes with a generous serving of arugula lettuce, sliced apples, candied walnuts, bits of blue cheese, and drizzled with a creamy balsamic dressing. It's good to share but probably better not to (hihi)!

Apple, Candied Walnut, and Blue Cheese Salad (P275)

Interior

I wasn't able to take photos of my visit so I decided to borrow some images from the internet since I no longer have enough time here in the city. But I will make sure that on my next visit, I will replace these interior shots with the ones I took. 

photo from Zero Three Two

One of the first things I noticed about the cafe was how dainty and homey its interior was. It truly felt like home-- the same feeling I encountered during my visit to Cafe 1771 in Ortigas; a similar feeling that reminded me of how I would want my future kitchen to be like someday. 

photo from Mariana's Tales

Adorned with lush interior and a collection of exquisite plates, the cafe felt so peaceful-- without any pretentions. And for an establishment that has been a pillar of good comfort food since 2000, it was easy to see why the Cebuanos frequented the place and called it home. 

And for the time being, this Ilongga felt at home too. 


Cafe Georg is located at Governor M. Cuenco Avenue, Banilad, Cebu City. They are open from 10:30am to 10:00pm (Sunday to Thursday) and 10:30am to 11:00pm (Friday to Saturday). For inquiries and reservations, call 032 234 0887. They tend to get full so make sure to get a reservation. 


* Interior images borrowed from Drum and Run, Mariana's Tales, Zero Three Two. Hope to meet you guys soon!

Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38