01 02 03 Good Food Trips: Khao Phat: A Hole-in-the-Wall Thai Street Food Delight! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Khao Phat: A Hole-in-the-Wall Thai Street Food Delight!

34

Exactly a year ago this month, I had the best time of my life. For one thing, I was living my dream-- working for a magazine as a layout artist/writer. It was also the month we went on a location shoot in Subic and I met Mr Derek Ramsay. I got to work with top names in the industry and elite people in the Philippines (Mayenne Carmona, Suzette Lopez, Mia Cruz-Ong, and Mark Bumgarner). I was having a blast and lived everyday as if it were the last. I was even sent on an all-expense trip to Bangkok to supervise the printing of the magazine's first issue.

While it wasn't my first time in the country, I was still pretty excited because I loved my first visit. Sadly, I wasn't able to explore much of Thailand because I was working 99% of the time. The only time I got to enjoy was when we visited Dusit Thani Pattaya and stayed on their VIP floor. Needless to say, that was the BEST hotel room I ever stayed in.

If it weren't for my Dad's passing a month later, the remnant of my Bangkok trip would have still made me smile even up to today. Instead, my September 2012 was the last time I felt truly happy and in control of my whole life.

While I do not look forward to October 2013, I know that I must face the fact that it's been a year since I last hugged and talked to my Dad. Even until now, it hurts to think of the last time I saw him; that last grin on his face; that last look of agony. I'm slowly coping and I don't know when the next time will be-- when I'll feel truly in control of my life and that it finally has meaning. The only times I do feel this way is when I'm traveling and trying out new restaurants: thus, my blog GoodFoodTrips. Coincidentally, this blog post is also about Thai food.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine told me about this hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant that her mom was raving about. Knowing the area, I was able to get a clue about the restaurant but never knew about how good it was. So when the opportunity came, I decided to visit along with some friends.

The restaurant is actually just a hole-in-the-wall place along Mountain View Subd. If you happen to pass by the area (going to Lopue's Mandalagan), you'll notice a new building on the right side; next to Ongsingco's Catering. This is where you can find Khao Phat.

The direct translation of the restaurant's name 'Khao Phat' is Stir-Fried Rice. One of the reasons why I've started to like this place is that it really feels like I'm seated along Chatuchak market and enjoying street food. And with no pretentions, I have to emphasize the term 'street food' because the restaurant is really serving just street food. But hey, if you're in the mood for something light and spicy, Khao Phat is a place to visit. Not to mention, affordable too!

The Menu
When you enter the restaurant, you go directly to the counter and choose your dish from the laminated photos atop it. There's also a name for each dish and alongside, the price.

The Food

One of the things I enjoyed most about my visits to Thailand was definitely the food. I was even fascinated by their boiled eggs, simply because they tasted different than ours. This is why I decided to order Khao Phat's Sweet and Sour Egg at P25. A bit overpriced for a hard-boiled egg with sauce, I simply remind myself that I do not know how to make the sauce and it's still worth it.

Sweet & Sour Egg (P25) 
The Num Tok is a Grilled Beef Salad. It was spicy, but just had enough spice to it that wouldn't make you reach for a glass of water. Reasonable for P75.
Numtok (P75) 
One of my favorite dishes, and of course, their bestseller is their Noodles. I love how the light sauce clings slightly to the rice noodles-- how it tenderly envelops its juice and exudes a tastefulness like nothing before: light and healthy, can be shared but I would recommend getting one for yourself.
Noodles (P75)
And of course, what is a Thai restaurant without trying their Phad Thai? While I am biased and forever rooted that the best Pad Thai (outside Thailand) is from Som's in Makati, Khao Phat's own version makes a close second. If not, it still is the best Pad Thai in Bacolod.
Phad Thai (P90)
My sister also got to try their Fried Rice, which was a meal on its own. It was good and had a mild flavor to it-- perfect for those who aren't into spicy dishes.
Fried Rice (P85)
A disappointment, however, was Khao Phat's Pork Balls, mainly for its size. I wasn't able to try this because my sister was already sharing it with her husband. An order consisted of 6 bola-bola sized deep fried pork with a sweet chili sauce on the side. I can slightly imagine the taste but my sister says it's pretty good.
Pork Balls (P45)

Overall, I still enjoy eating at Khao Phat. It's a pretty decent choice if you'd like to eat in one of the very few Thai restaurants in Bacolod. And for its price, it's definitely a winner!


Khao Phat is located at Manalo St., Mountainview Subd., Bacolod City. They are open from Mondays-Saturdays 11:30am - 2:30pm and 5:00pm - 9:00pm. For inquiries, call them at 09166201896. Visit their Facebook Page for more updates.

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38